It’s interesting to learn about how computers came to be. Computer facts are themselves so interesting that leave you to wonder how it all comes about. Let me start with this mind opener. Always we have been using the refresh option on Windows computers but then, What does a desktop refresh actually do? Refreshing the desktop simply redraws the icons on the desktop. That’s it! It doesn’t refresh the RAM. It doesn’t clean your PC. It doesn’t refresh your computer the way it refreshes you when you wake up from a nap. Refreshing the desktop has absolutely no effect on the performance of the computer. So, in this article about the most Interesting facts about computers, i will share more of this and probably you haven’t read them anywhere else.
The list would have made it to 100 or so but I have made it a bit summarized and brief to enable you enjoy reading about the most interesting computer facts in no time. Just imagine this list made it last year on my top most read articles on this blog. How amazing is that? Also, the keyword facts about computers google loved it so much that it placed us in position five and still counting. So, let’s dive in and learn about so of the most interesting computer facts.
Here Are Some Interesting Facts About Computers You Might Not Be Knowing
1. The first electronic computer ENIAC weighed more than 27 tons and took up 1800 square feet.
2. Only about 10% of the world’s currency is physical money, the rest only exists on computers.
3. TYPEWRITER is the longest word that you can write using the letters only on one row of the keyboard of your computer.
4. Doug Engelbart invented the first computer mouse in around 1964 which was made of wood.
5. There are more than 5000 new computer viruses are released every month.
6. Around 50% of all Wikipedia vandalism is caught by a single computer program with more than 90% accuracy.
7. If there was a computer as powerful as the human brain, it would be able to do 38 thousand trillion operations per second and hold more than 3580 terabytes of memory.
8. The password for the computer controls of nuclear-tipped missiles of the U.S was 00000000 for eight years.
9. Approximately 70% of virus writers are said to work under contract for organized crime syndicates.
10. HP, Microsoft and Apple have one very interesting thing in common – they were all started in a garage.
11. An average person normally blinks 20 times a minute, but when using a computer he/she blinks only 7 times a minute.
12. The house where Bill Gates lives, was designed using a Macintosh computer.
13. The first ever hard disk drive was made in 1979, and could hold only 5MB of data.
14. The first 1GB hard disk drive was announced in 1980 which weighed about 550 pounds, and had a price tag of $40,000.
15. More than 80% of the emails sent daily are spams.
16. A group of 12 engineers designed IBM PC and they were called as “The Dirty Dozen”.
17. The original name of Windows was Interface Manager.
18. The first microprocessor created by Intel was the 4004. It was designed for a calculator, and in that time nobody imagined where it would lead.
19. IBM 5120 from 1980 was the heaviest desktop computer ever made. It weighed about 105 pounds, not including the 130 pounds external floppy drive.
20. Konrad Zuse is the inventor of the first programmable computer in the world. He did it in 1936 and named the computer as Z1.
21. The first bug in a computer was a dead moth found shorting a relay in the Harvard Mark II computer.
22. The first-ever registered domain name was Symbolics.com for free.
23. Windows doesn’t allow for creation of folders tagged CON, PRN, AUX, or NUL. These are keywords reserved by DOS.
24. Russians made a computer that ran on water in the mid of 1936. Computer facts to be noted.
25. A professional typist types fast and types great amount of words daily. If we measure this as distance, than it will become 12.6 miles a day for the fingers of the typist to cover each day.
26. The worst breach of U.S. military computers in history happened when someone picked up a memory stick (infected by a foreign intelligence agency) they found in the parking lot and plugged it into their computer, which was attached to United States Central Command.
27. The computer in your cell phone today is million times cheaper and a thousands times more powerful and about a hundred thousands times smaller than the one computer at MIT in 1965.
28. The first webcam was used at Cambridge University. Its purpose was to monitor a coffee maker so they didn’t waste trips to an empty pot !
29. According to a survey, most of the apps in your android device leaks your data, so be aware.
30. There is a website called “The Useless Web” . This is the last treatment for your boredom. If you ever feel bored please visit.
31. E-Mail was invented before Internet. Shocked!!!! ” I also got shocked after hearing this.”
32. The fact that keyboard have ‘Q’ ‘W’ ‘E’ ‘R’ ‘T’ ‘Y’ types of button: When keyboard was invented, it had buttons in alphabetical order as a result the typing speed was too fast and the computer used to hang. So, to reduce the speed of a person, qwerty keyboard were invented.
33. All the domain names such as, were free until 1995, but now everyone has to pay for every new domain name.
34. Alan Turing the father of computer science, artificial intelligence and who helped break German WW2 cyphers, committed suicide after being forced to undergo hormonal treatment for homosexuality and barred from continuing his cryptographic work.
35. Tandy TRS-80 Model I computer radiated so much interference that many games were designed so that an AM radio next to the computer could be used to provide sounds.
36. A 15 year old hacked NASA computers and caused a 21-day shutdown of their computers.
37. CAPTCHA is an acronym for “Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart”2
38. The first actual computer “bug” was a dead moth which was stuck in a Harvard Mark II computer in 1947.
I hope you enjoyed this list and i think, reading some facts about computers in a brief and interesting way has kind of made up your day. Now, these interesting facts about computers are also needed by someone else in your friend list. Why not share. Remember, sharing is charing.